Remember remember the 26th of December


By now, different topics must’ve hit your minds when I mentioned Dec, 26th. People in the U.K, Australia, Canada and other Commonwealth countries might relate it to the famous “Boxing day” celebrated on the 26th of December every year. Boxing day is considered to be a lucky day for initiating anything. Like, new shops, businesses are started this day, which people believe will bring them good luck starting from the new year. Some others find it a prosperous day to shop and also for families to get together. But traditionally in England, this was the day to open the Christmas boxes to share the content with the poor.
A lot more people remember it to be the day when Tsunami devastated a few Asian countries in 2004. It’s a day that will always stay in our hearts forever. That was the day I came to know about the word “Tsunami” to its full extent. But ironically, December 26th has coincided with nature’s devastations a lot many times.
In 1997, the Soufriere hill volcano exploded, creating an offshore Tsunami which resulted in the death of 19 people. Well, that’s Tsunami #2 on Dec 26th.
On Dec 26th 1998, severe gales hit several parts of Britain causing widespread disruption. This storm was then named the “Boxing day storm”. On the same day, the following year, severe storms hit France, killing over 100 people.
In 2003, a major earthquake of magnitude 6.6 devastated the southeastern Iranian city of Bam, killing over tens of thousands of people.
And the following year, the worst ever earthquake of magnitude 9.0 hit Asia, thereby creating a huge 30 feet Tsunami that took away more than 2,30,000 lives.
Again on December 26th, 2006, a massive earthquake of magnitude 7.1 devastated the island of Taiwan.
Some other people from Canada might relate it to the shootout which took the life of a 15 year old girl which took place in the year 2005. This incident then came to be known as the “Boxing Day shootout”. The Canadian Police named this as “Project Green Apple”. Any idea why this name? It was that 15 year old girl’s favourite food.
Some others in Colorado remember December 26th as the day 6 year old beauty queen JonBenét Ramsey who was kidnapped was found beaten and strangled in the basement of her house.

Or some innocent foolish dumbers (with pea-sized brain) who find happiness in killing others, which they proclaim it to be their "Jehad" from Kuran remember this day to be the b'day of their useless coward leader -D.Ibrahim, who is still there somewhere hiding from the world, which is obviously not the attribute of a leader, which is what some people claim him to be.
And some historians claim December 26th to be the day that gave birth to more than 10 leaders worldwide. Many treaties have been signed this day. Several wars were waged this day. Several leaders died this day. Several great writers were born, several died . As far as written history goes, Dec 26th has been a day that has coincided with several events worldwide. Exactly a year back, it became an important and unforgettable day in my life too. It changed my whole life.

It was the time when I was totally depressed in life. Every friend of mine were employed or either pursuing their higher studies. I wanted to work for some time, before taking any further step of doing higher studies or not. But none were ready to give me one. Any place I went , the first question was what I was doing? I was totally speechless. More than my embarrasment, it was so painful to see my parents expressionless with their heads down. These were the moments that made me to think, what I really achieved to make my parents feel proud of? People around me laughed at me to the extent they could. I couldn’t anymore stand the defeated look on my parents’ face. I felt so bad of myself. It went to the extent of feeling my birth was the worst thing that ever happened to my family. This was the time, I started lifting my spirits. If not for me, I wanted to succeed for my parents ; for the sacrifices they’ve made for my pleasure ; for the reason that I’m the son of these good people. Days passed by. Nothing positive was in sight. The day was December 26th . It was an usual bright sunny day. I got a call, that there was an interview. I went . I got selected. That was the moment I knew how it felt to succeed. It’s a great feeling. It makes you to get that feeling again & again. I can never forget the happiness I saw in my parents’ face. I got totally charged. I went past all the people who mocked me, with my head held high. Wow. What a feeling !!
But, not all know what happened that exact day of my interview. For some whom I told, said its weird. Some said it was funny. But if you ask me, I would probably say they were “a series of unfortunate events”, which I will share with you in the near future .


Trivia :
December 26th also coincided with the day a great legend who was responsible for almost all of the technology we enjoy day to day - the computer. Yes, i'm talking about the great Charles Babbage.

Comments

Popular Posts